Getting ready to take your first class?
Welcome! We are so happy that you’ve decided to join us at Bikram Yoga Santa Clarita. We guarantee that a regular Bikram Yoga practice will change your life in the most wonderful ways. Every class is open to beginners, no experience necessary.
There is no obligation to buy a membership or commit to a specific time slot. Please be sure to arrive to your first class at least 20 min early so we can take care of registration and orientation. Once the teacher has stepped into the yoga room and class has begun, latecomers will be be turned away. For your own well being, and out of consideration for the rest of the class, we will ask you to return and take class another time, on time.
- If you feel nervous, scared or a little intimidated, no problem, many people feel that way initially. Just don’t let it stop you from coming to class. Bikram designed this class for beginners, so know that with a little practice and experience, you’ll quickly feel right at home.
- Be sure to begin hydrating 2-3 hours before class. Drink plenty of water throughout the day so that you’re well hydrated before coming to class. Good hydration supports the healthy function of all of your body’s systems, and it makes the heat feel comfortable rather than overwhelming.
- Do not come to class on an empty stomach as this may cause a sudden drop in blood sugar level. Don’t have a full stomach. Eat just enough (or early enough) to keep your blood sugar level steady and to absorb stomach acid.
- Arrive 20 minutes early for your first class. This gives us time for registration and orientation. Arriving early ensures a stress free and relaxed beginning to your life long Bikram Yoga practice.
- Bikram’s Yoga is for everyone. To quote Bikram’s teacher, Bishnu Ghosh, “It’s never too late, you’re never too old, you’re never too sick, to start again from scratch.” Come to class, and with the guidance of your teacher, simply approach every posture to the best of your ability, and you will receive 100% benefit.
- Don’t think you have to get in shape before coming to class. That puts the cart before the horse! Come take your first class, and then take class as often as you possibly can and you will quickly lose weight, get in shape, and feel absolutely wonderful.
- Dress in cool, comfortable clothes, like you’re going to the beach. Most folks wear running or biking shorts, and women wear a sports bra or fitted tank top.
- You will feel challenged by the yoga during class, everyone does. Always work to your edge, but listen to your body and your inner wisdom. As a beginner, never be afraid to sit down if you need to. It’s normal, especially when you first get started, to feel dizzy, nauseated or lightheaded. It’s temporary, and as your body acclimates and detoxes, these sensations will disappear.
- During class nobody will look at you or judge you. The teacher will guide you and instruct you, always with compassion and respect. No need to be self conscious. It’s helpful to realize that people’s focus is on themselves. They are working too hard to even notice you.
- Take your second class within 24 hours. The second class is the equivalent of 3 to 4 classes, and you will bypass much of the soreness you would experience otherwise.
- Make up your mind to take 10 classes as quickly as possible. Then no one has to tell you how good this yoga is for you. Your own personal experience will guide you.
- If you have a yoga mat, bring it, along with a large bath towel, a small hand towel, and drinking water. We also have these items available for rent and purchase.
- Remember, everyone had their very first Bikram Yoga class, even the people on the front row who have been coming for years. They make it look easy because they persevered, and you can too.
$39 Intro Month for New and Local Students*!
*residents of Greater Los Angeles area – ID required on first visit. Arrive at studio 20 minutes prior to your first class.